The Order Castle Koenigsberg was founded in 1255 on the place of Prussian Tuwangste Fortress that was captured by the Teutonic Knights. Place convenient for the construction of the castle was chosen by the Bohemian King Ottokar II Przemysl, who led the most ambitious crusades on the land of Prussia, and allocates the necessary funds (royal gifts) to build a castle.
During the Second World War, the Royal Castle was burned in a British air raid in August 1944.
From 2006 and until December 2007 excavations were carried out in south-eastern part of the castle. A part of the underground passage was found and the construction of basements of the South wing. An external wall of the south - eastern part of the castle (faced with slabs of sandstone) four meters height, has been cleared.
On that place a museum exhibit in the open air was created. Since 2009 it is a part of the Kaliningrad Regional History and Art Museum