State Borodino War and History Museum and Reserve, the world's oldest battlefield museum locates 120 km west of Moscow. It has been established in 1839 to memorize the Battle of Borodino (1812) at a place of decisive battle between two great armies, led by Kutuzov and Napoleon. The reserved area (112 square km) of relevant cultural landscapes memorizing the events and actions of the Patriotic War 1812 and World War II (1941-1945) comprises more than 200 monuments: fortification sites of the Russian and French armies, 34 monuments to different Russian regiments (1911-1912), historic buildings of the XVII-XX centuries.
The main exhibition "Borodino - the Battle of Giants", displayed in the historic building of the museum (1839, 1912), is based on the original uniforms and weapons, pieces of fine arts, archaeological items and documents, personal belongings of the participants of the battle. Exhibitions "Toy Soldier and Military Figurines", "Borodino during the Great Patriotic War. 1941-1945", "War Gallery of the Borodino battlefield" and "Memorial House of Mother Superior Maria(M. Tuchkova)" are opened in the buildings of the Borodino Savior Convent.
Historic re-enactments of the Battle of Borodino (the first Sunday of September) and of 1941 fights for Moscow (the second Sunday of October) take place in the battlefield annually as well as children's holiday "Staunch Tin Soldier" (the last Sunday of May)