The house was built at the end of the 17th century. It belonged to the Holland merchants - the Gutmans. Peter the First knew the merchants since his trip to Europe and as usual he visited this house when he was in Vologda.
Local authorities bought this house in 1872 and later the first museum was opened here in 1885. There are two rooms in the museum. The exhibits in the first room show various articles of the local masters as Vologda was an important commercial centre in 16-17th centuries.
The most interesting exhibits of the museum: Peter's clothes, his dead mask, weapons used at the time of the North War, a beater (used instead of bells), Andrew the First Call Order and others