History of mail is inseparably connected with history of development of all mankind in whole and each country separately.
The Russian mail service originates in the time of formation of Ancient Russia where transfer of oral and written messages was widely used by princes. Today there is neither museum nor exposition telling about history of a mail service and, particularly, about mail of Simbirsk, though there are more than ten museums on the similar theme in the country.
Ulyanovsk was declared as a philatelic capital of Russia 2008 in December 20, 2007. The management of reserve decided to create museum Mail of Simbirsk in the frames of this project under addressing of directorate of UFPS of Ulyanovsk region branch of FGUP Mail of Russia.
The new museum is supposed to acquaint with stages of development of a mail service in Russia through mail history in the city of Simbirsk and province:
- to discover a mail service role in a private life of citizens of our country;
- to define importance of city, zemskoy, steamship, railway mail for Simbirsk region;
- to show a current state of a mail service of the Ulyanovsk region;
- to impart rising generation to studying of the history of a native land by means of philately;
- to establish theme exhibitions from collections of philatelists of a city and a region.
Thereby Ulyanovsk soon will have new cultural object - a museum Mail of Simbirsk which exposition show more full and more brightly history of Simbirsk since the end of XIX century to the beginning of XX century, will allow possibility to citizens and visitors of Ulyanovsk to learn deeply the history of Simbirsk region