St. Vladimir Cathedral, the burial-place of the outstanding Russian admirals M. Lazarev, V. Kornilov, V. Istomin, P. Nakhimov, is the memorial to the heroes of the Crimean War 1853-1856.
The spade works for erection of the cathedral began in 1848. The stone-laying ceremony of the cathedral was on July 15, 1854. The Crimean War 1853-1856 broke off the building works. During the defence such heroes of Sevastopol epopee as admirals Kornilov, Istomin, Nakhimov were buried in the burial-vaults. St. Nikolay church, the lower one, was sanctified in 1881; St. Vladimir church, the upper one, - in 1888. 9 superior naval officers were buried along the walls of the lower church from 1869 to 1920.
The process of the restoration started in 1965. In 1973 the cathedral was transferred to the possession of the Museum of Heroic Defence and Liberation of Sevastopol. The church service in the cathedral was renewed on October 20, 1991.