For the first time it was established in 1919. It`s first director was Peter Baranowski, and since 1921 - Nikolaj Sawin. It was largely based on the collections from some country-seats of nobility. The museum was fully destroyed during WWII.
The present museum was founded in 1980 thanks to Anna Ashmetkova, it`s first director. There are more than 2 thousand museum-pieces, the most interesting are archaeological things, articles of clothing,arms, gifts from honourable countrymen, pieces of art, photos and reminiscences