The Museum of Circus Art is situated in St Petersburg circus - the first stone stationary circus in Russia. It came into being in August 1928 and happened to be the first circus museum in the world of its kind. Still it remains the only circus museum in Russia collecting circus objects worldwide and circus art in whole (over 100 000 items).
Since its foundation Museum enriches its funds mainly with the donations of artistes (their props, costumes, photographs, posters and so on) and exchanging with collectors from all over the world.
The main aims of the Museum are to preserve, study and systematize circus material to make it available to wide range of public.
The Museum of Circus Art is a departmental museum that is why it is open for circus artistes and researches only. Others who are interested in circus art are able to visit the exhibition hall free of charge one hour before the circus performance and during the break. The excursions are also organized there. The Museum not only organizes its own exhibitions but also takes part in exhibitions (not only circus ones) in Russia and abroad