The MANEGE Central Exhibition Hall has been housed in the former Horse-guards riding school since 1977, it was constructed in 1807 to the designs of the architect Giacomo Quarenghi.
The primary activity of "Manege" is arrangement of home and foreign artists exhibitions of painting, drawings, sculpture, applied art and art of theatrics, contemporary art (international festivals of modern and experimental art, installation, performances) as well as exhibitions from the museum reserves, archives and private collections. Important Russian and international industrial exhibitions are arranged in the Manege. The Central Exhibition Hall closely cooperates with the painters, art historians and art collectors from Germany, Italy, Finland, Sweden, its partners in organization of exchange exhibitions.
The MANEGE holds classical and modern music concerts, art festivals, musical shows and presentations.
The MANEGE Central Exhibition Hall possesses a comprehensive collection of Contemporary art works, and hosts over 2000 art pieces. This is the result of the hall's fifteen-year activities. The collection was started in 1991 and has been since formed as the fund of the future St. Petersburg Museum of Contemporary Arts.
From the very beginning the collection has been formed being oriented not only towards latest trends, but also towards 20th century artists. The collection rather comprehensively reflects the history of fine arts development in St. Petersburg, beginning from 1920s and to the present time