The All-Russian Historical-and-Ethnographical Museum is situated in Torzhok, Tver region. It was founded in 1988 on Academician D.S. Likhatchev's initiative to study the historical-and-cultural heritage of the central regions of Russia in complex.
There are about 50,000 units in the collection. The most interesting things are those discovered during the archeological excavations in Torzhok (19 birch bark charters; a rich collection of fresco fragments of 12-13th centuries from Sts. Boris and Gleb church in the monastery of the same name), an ethnographical collection of traditional units of every day life from 18-20th centuries, the manuscript "Words, legends and messages" by Maxim Greek (1584).
The total exposition area is 1224 m. Nowadays there are 6 constant expositions: "History under your feet", "Strolling round old Torzhok", "The History of Sts. Boris and Gleb Monastery", "Alive and Legendary Russia ", "Not for the sake of hard drinking", "Links of times".
In the museum there is Arts workshop "Source". The aim of this workshop is to revive the Russian amateur and folk arts, the ancient weaving technology, reservation and popularization of the traditions of Novotorzhskoye gold embroidery.
The museum is engaged in scientific and educational work. The museum staff has elaborated more than 40 lectures in Russian history and culture, they take excursions in the town and outskirts. The museum helps schools and colleges to conduct talk shows, brain rings, contests and lectures