Museum in Staritsa was opened in 1919 and was in urgent housing of the former Holy Dormition monastery. In the period of the Great Patriotic war museum collection was virtually destroyed. Since 1975 the museum was located in the building of the Vvedenskaya church with a refectory (1570.) Of the Holy Dormition monastery. Since 1977. Staritsky architectural and archaeological museum became a branch of the Tver state united museum.
In 2008. The crone has received a new building for the local history museum, which aspires to become the center of all patriotic and local lore work with children and youth, as well as the centre of the organisation of leisure activities for visitors of different age and social categories.
The exposition tells about the events of the Troubles in the early 17th., the first Russian patriarch Jov - the native Parish, the rector Starytsky Dormition monastery, about the role of the monastery in the life of the city, about the reforms of Catherine II, which approved the coat of arms and a map of the city. The museum shows the most important staritsa fisheries: stone, blacksmithing, pottery, as well as subjects of the traditional life of the people.
Separate thematic complexes devoted to starytsky nobility. In a separate room there is an exposition telling about the city life of the 19th - beginning of 20th centuries.: municipal management, trade, way of life, culture, education. Her real adornment is the city of the interior. A separate section of the exposition is devoted to the Staritsa in the period of the Great Patriotic war